ForeFlight Mobile 11.5 and later supports displaying FLARM traffic (available in Europe) from the uAvionix SkyEcho 2. To use a SkyEcho 2 to display FLARM traffic, a FLARM license is required, and the SkyEcho 2 configuration needs to be completed.
FLARM Decoding License
FLARM decoding licenses can be purchased as an add-on to any ForeFlight subscription plan with Europe coverage. To add a FLARM license for ForeFlight Mobile,
- Go to www.foreflight.com/buy#/
- In the upper right, select Login.
- Under “Select your ForeFlight Region(s),” select Europe (if it is not already selected)
- In the “Select your Add On(s)” section, select the FLARM for Supported ADS-B Portables.
- Make sure everything else you want to keep on your account, including subscription level and regions, is selected.
- Review the order. A prorated credit from the current subscription will be listed.
- Check out by selecting Purchase This Subscription.
NOTE: FLARM decoding licenses cannot be transferred between devices or apps, so a ForeFlight-specific license is needed even if you already have a FLARM license for another app or display.
Connecting to a SkyEcho 2
Once a FLARM decoding license has been added to your ForeFlight subscription,
- Connect the iPad or iPhone to the Internet.
- Open ForeFlight Mobile.
- Go to More > Accounts. The FLARM license will be detected in about 10 seconds, but no indication will be given that the license has been updated.
- Power on the SkyEcho 2.
- Connect the SkyEcho 2 to the iPad or iPhone.
- Open ForeFlight Mobile.
- Go to More > Device. The SkyEcho 2 device tile will be available.
Note: When connecting to the SkyEcho 2, if FLARM mode was activated using the SkyEcho 2 web interface before receiving a ForeFlight Mobile FLARM decoding license, a “License required for FLARM” notice will be presented on the SkyEcho 2 device tile, which is found in ForeFlight Mobile under More > Devices.
The next time the iPad connects to the Internet after the SkyEcho 2 device tile is displayed, ForeFlight will send an email with instructions for adding the FLARM decoding license to your ForeFlight subscription.
Confirming the SkyEcho 2 Configuration
Follow the steps below to ensure the SkyEcho 2 configuration is correct.
STEP 1. Power on the SkyEcho 2.
STEP 2. Connect the SkyEcho 2 to the iPad or iPhone.
STEP 3. Open ForeFlight Mobile.
STEP 4. Go to More > Device. The SkyEcho 2 device tile will be available.
STEP 5. Tap on the SkyEcho 2 device tile. The view presented will provide details about the SkyEcho 2 and the traffic it receives.
STEP 6. In the Device Status section, set the Antenna Setting to FLARM.
STEP 7. On the Web UI line, select Tap Here>. The SkyEcho 2 configuration page will open in a browser.
Note: An alternate to selecting "Tap Here>" is to open Safari on the iPad or iPhone while still connected to the SkyEcho 2. Then, type in 192.168.4.1 to bring up the SkyEcho 2 configuration page.
STEP 8. Select SkyEcho Setup.
STEP 9. On the ADS-B Setup page, do the following
- Select FLARM
- Enter a valid ICAO Address (hex code)
- Enter a Callsign.
NOTE: The ICAO Address hex code and Callsign are required to get the own-ship detection. Selecting the ADS-B Out mode is prohibited outside the UK.