ForeFlight Mobile offers audible alerts as follows:
- TFR Alerts - Alerts when the present track is forecast to go inside, over, or under a known TFR within the next 5 minutes, even if the TFR map layer is turned on. The four different alerts that are possible based on the position relative to the TFR are:
- TFR Ahead
- TFR Below
- TFR Above
- Inside TFR
- Transition Altitude - Alerts when climbing or descending through the transition altitude.
- 500’ AGL Alerts - Alerts when descending through 500 ft. AGL after having been above 1,000 ft. AGL. The alert will only sound once every 60 seconds and is automatically disabled if groundspeed is less than 40 knots.
- Cabin Pressure Altitude - Alerts when the aircraft cabin pressure altitude passes 12,000 ft. MSL and 25,000 ft. MSL. This alert requires an iPad, iPhone, or external device equipped with a barometric sensor.
- Destination WX Frequency Alerts - Alerts when nearing the destination airport. The destination weather frequency callout provides the destination airport weather frequency (ATIS, AWOS, or ASOS).
- Sink Rate - Alerts as follows:
- When above 2,500 ft. AGL (or when AGL is unknown), the descent rate exceeds 4,000 ft. per minute.
- When at 2,500 ft. AGL and the descent rate exceeds 3,000 ft. per minute.
- When between 2,500 ft. and 500ft. AGL, the descent rate is between 3000 ft. and 1500 ft. per minute. The sink rate value used to trigger the alerts is calculated on a linear scale starting at 2500 ft. AGL and 3000' ft. per minute down to 500' ft. at 1500 ft. per minute AGL.
- Terrain/Obstacle Alerts - Alerts when GPS accuracy is good and a potential conflict with Terrain/Obstacle is detected. The alert provides visual and audible alerts that display app-wide and not just on the Maps view. When near airports, the alert sensitivity automatically adjusts to reduce nuisance alerts. This alert requires a Pro Plus subscription or higher and having the Obstacle data and Terrain data downloaded.
- Runways - Alerts when nearing or entering a runway.
- Runway Final Approach Alert - Alerts when approaching any runway, based on altitude, vertical speed, track, and when within 4 nm of the runway threshold.
- Airborne Traffic - Alerts when ForeFlight determines a traffic target will be within 1.3 nm and +/- 1,200 ft. in less than 25 seconds. Audible traffic alerts require ForeFlight to detect ADS-B Ownship. ADS-B Ownship is the process of identifying a traffic target as your aircraft. ADS-B Ownship detection requires an ADS-B receiver or onboard Wi-Fi.
- Traffic On Runway - Alerts when approaching to land on a runway, and ForeFlight detects another aircraft on that runway. An audible alert plays the message “Traffic on Runway” and specifies the runway number and airport. For this alert to work, ForeFlight must detect ADS-B Ownship for both your aircraft and the traffic target.
- Traffic On Short Final - Alerts when on a runway, and ForeFlight detects another aircraft on a short final approach to that runway. An audible alert plays the message “Traffic on Short Final” and specifies the runway number and airport. For this alert to work, ForeFlight must detect ADS-B Ownship for both your aircraft and the traffic target.
- Unknown Traffic - Alerts when traffic targets not broadcasting altitude information are assumed to be at your altitude and are expected to be within 1.3 nm of your GPS position within 25 seconds. When triggered, the alert will display (and speak if enabled) the relationship, distance, and the message “Altitude Unknown.”
- Device Disconnect - Alerts when the Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connection to a portable or panel-mounted device that ForeFlight supports is lost. This allows pilots to take appropriate action to restore the connection, switch to a backup device, or continue the flight knowing that the previously connected device is no longer available. The alert is only triggered when groundspeed is above 40 knots or the connected device does not have a GPS fix.
- Flight Plan Auto Update - Alerts when ForeFlight receives and loads a new flight plan from the panel avionics. The alert will display a “New Flight Plan Loaded From Panel” message. This alert requires a connection to installed avionics that can send flight plans to ForeFlight (such as Garmin Connext devices), and “Auto-Receive Panel Flight Plans” is enabled in More > Settings.
- Weight & Balance - Alerts when a change is made to a weight & balance calculation and the CG falls within or outside the CG limits. The alert tone will vary based on the condition.
A sample audio alert can be triggered by tapping More > Settings and then toggling “Speak All Alerts” Off and back On. When the alert is playing, press the Volume Up or Volume Down toggle on the side of the iPad or iPhone to adjust the volume of the alert.